These blogposts have become increasingly difficult lately as I’ve been super-busy. I picked up a couple more personal training clients, have gained a bunch of new online clients, my Graduate Biomechanics Course is picking up steam, and I’m still trying to write articles, read an occasional journal article, and lift weights 4-6 times per week. And I’ve been slammed working on something else…which I’ll keep as a surprise for now, but I’ll update you in a few weeks (it’s not a product or anything like that). I’m in desperate need of a vacation! Here are the Good Reads for the Week:
Bret Contreras Articles
1. Cure for Cowardly Calves – T-Nation Article
2. How Weight Training Saved My Life – I didn’t mean to sound so shallow in this article, I was trying to be as honest as possible. I started lifting weights because I hated being picked on and I wanted more chicks to like me. Take women off of the planet and I’d probably quit eating healthy, quit shaving, my outfits would cease to match, I’d start training MMA all day long, and I’d get up to 285 lbs with a huge bulk belly (but a strong squat and bench press).
3. Coach Keats Snideman tries to teach the Glute Guy how to do Swings and Get Ups. I really suck at these but Keats was able to get me much better in just ten minutes of instruction. My friend Keats rocks!
4. Men’s Health November (this month’s) Issue – (no link here it’s in the actual magazine) page 154-155 – I recommended single leg hip thrusts (which I believe are the best bodyweight hip dominant exercise in existence).
Article of the Week
1. Choosing the Path Less Traveled by Bill Starr – One Word: AMEN! Bill is a strength & conditioning legend (he wrote Only The Strongest Shall Survive) and this was a passionate article – definitely worth reading.
Blast From the Past
1. Correcting Posture: Myth or Reality – This was actually written in 2006. I read it around a year ago and was recently asked about it by a colleague. It will make you think.
WTF? Moment of the Week
1. Fat Dudes Last Longer in Bed than Lean Dudes. It Seems that Estradial can be a Good Thing
1. Coach Kevin Carr (Kevin is a S&C up-and-comer!)
2. Coach Jeremy Frisch (not sure if Jeremy plans on maintaining the site but he’s a smart guy and has a lot of strength training experience)
3. Sean Hyson (Men’s Fitness)
4. Brad Schoenfeld – This blog isn’t new but I just learned of Brad via two of his badass NSCA journal articles – one on hypertrophy which was the absolute best I’d ever read on the topic, and another on the squat, which was the best review I’ve ever read on the topic as well. I checked out his blog and it’s really good if you’re interested in bodybuilding. Brad is a freakishly smart dude, and he’s very rare in that he’s an accomplished competitor, trainer, and researcher!
5. Joe Dowdell (trainer of athletes, celebrities, and the Gods above) – Joe is very smart (and one of the rare trainers who has a superior understanding of Biomechanics) so I expect good things when he starts blogging regularly. There’s a non-flash, I-pad version of the site coming soon.
6. Ergo-Log (I just stumbled upon this site and it’s awesome!)
1. The Truth About Quickness by Kelly Baggett
1. The 3rd Annual Performance Conference at Sacred Heart University on December 11th
2. Starting Strength Seminar on November 12-14 in Cleveland, OH
1. Fitcast – Karabee, Jon “International Man of Mystery” Fass, and Cassfass
2. Nick Tumminello on “Stop Chasing Pain Podcast” on Fascia – This is a Great Listen!
3. StrengthCoach Podcast with Kevlar on Body by Boyle Online Training Program
4. Awesome Interview with Mike Boyle on BlogTalk Radio
5. Glial Cells with Dr. R. Douglas Fields (they make up 85% of the cells in the Nervous System)
1. Awesome two-part guest blog by Kelly Baggett on Eric Cressey’s site on Speed, Quickness, and Explosiveness. Click here for Part One, and click here for Part Two
2. Tony Gentilcore provides you with “Stuff to Read While You’re Pretending to Work.”
3. GREAT read by Nick Tumminello on disc pressure measurements on exercise selection (this is a must read)
4. Mike T. Nelson – 8 Random Things
5. Charlie Weingroff on Structural Supinators
6. Great read by Charlie Weingroff on the feet
7. NSCA article on the role of the core during tennis swings
8. Heavy resistance or high reps for six-pack abs?
9. General, special, and specific core exercises for baseball players
10. Charlie Weingroff on whole-body-vibration causing stingers
11. Tony Gentilcore on trainers who dis heavy things
12. Muscular man boobs scare Planet Fitness Worker
13. Franz Snideman breaking down the swing part III (this is an amazing 3-part series…probably the best I’ve seen on the swing)
14. Random Thoughts by Matt Johnson
15. Random Thoughts by Mike Robertson
16. Charlie Weingroff on vertical tibia specifics
17. Brandon Alleman rants about some things that piss him off
18. Franz Snideman on lessons learned from Pavel Tsatsouline’s seminar (sounds like it was a great seminar!)
19. Holy crap this is a great read by Alwyn Cosgrove – a tale of two people
20. Weighted slideboard bodysaw
21. Great video of Coach Todd Wright and some of the exercises he employs
22. Real life Friday workouts from Jaime Rodriguez
23. Workouts for the week by Ben Bruno
24. Master the overhead squat with Core Performance
25. Seven ab exercises that actually work by Steven Morris
26. The genius dumbbell workout by Men’s Health
27. Five clients that drive you crazy by John Izzo
28. Ricochet push up by Nick Tumminello
29. One minute muscle-builders by Nick Tumminello on Wannabebig
30. My Single Leg Experiment by Ben Bruno on StrengthCoach.com
31. Implementing the FMS in a Team Setting by Bruce Kelly on StrengthCoach.com
32. Five Obstacles for Dominant Speed and Quickness by Kelly Baggett
33. More on insulin by James Krieger – this article series is unbelievable
34. How Do You Recover by Kevin Carr on Elitefts
35. Five Simple tips for Better Squatting by Ben Bruno – this is a great read! I love reading Ben’s stuff…he is a thinking man who formulates his own opinions.
36. Excellent Chad Waterbury article on Bigger Arms
37. A great read by Eric Cressey on parents who say, “Make My Kid Run Faster”
38. This is a great video!!! Celebrities getting strong! Good to see C-Dub (Chad Waterbury) talking shop.
39. Eric Moss on “The Situation” and alcohol-infused vodka
40. Although speckled with “Broscience,” this was one of my favorite articles of the week to read simply because the author injected some good humor. It’s a T-Nation article called “The Best Damn Cardio Article Period.”
41. Another Great T-Nation article by Mike Roussell – Does Your Fat Math Add Up?
42. How do you Measure Success as a Strength Coach by Brijesh Patel
43. Overtraining and Overreaching by Lyle McDonald, Part I
44. Overtraining and Overreaching by Lyle McDonald Part II
45. How is Your Restoration Program Going by Mike Mahler
46. Four Random Exercises by Mike T. Nelson including Pendlay Rows, Kettlebell Presses, Suitcase Deadlifts, and Round-Back Deadlifts
47. Awesome read by P.J. Striet on Exercise and Calorie Burning. This one will Surprise You! It’s a Must-Read
48. Sculpt Rock-Hard Abs in Five Easy Steps by Adam Bornstein
49. Giggling and Powerlifting by Ginger Vieira
50. One Arm Hang Snatch to Split by Core Performance
51. Great Links by Chris Beardsley
52. Business Books for the Fitness Professional by Carson Boddicker
53. Rachel Cosgrove on Butt Shaping – 1-Leg SLDL and Valslide Lunge
54. Rotary Medball Throw by Core Performance
55. The Training Log by Vern Gambetta
56. Great Interview with Jeremy Frisch by Patrick Ward on Iso-Extremes and Eccentric Quasi-Isometrics
57. Top Ten Kelly Baggett Articles by Chris Beardsley
58. Post-Workout Nutrition by John Berardi on Craig Ballantyne’s Site
59. Important Read: Back Surgery Can Backfire on Patients With Pain
60. Lee Taft Interview
61. John Izzo on Women and Weights
62. Cool video testimonial by Nick Chertock on Eric Cressey’s Show and Go Program
63. Slideboard Atomic Push Ups by Ben Bruno
64. Robbie Bourke on Supersets, Tri-sets, Quad-sets, Straight Sets, and Energy Systems
65. Tony Gentilcore on James Fell’s Scathing Article on Jillian Michaels. Click here to read James’ article.
66. Free PDF of the Anatomy Trains / Myofascial Meridians Overview
67. Birthday Thoughts by JRod
68. Ben Bruno’s Classification of Slideboard Lunges
69. Aaron Schwenzfeier on What He’s Been Up to Lately – Good Thoughts from a Real Coach
70. Zercher Squats with Zach Even-Esh
71. Dr. Perry Nickelston talks about the Joint by Joint Approach
72. Another awesome Cosgrove read – Reversal of Fortune
73. Eric Moss interviews Geoff Neupert
74. Jeff Cubos on Jump-Roping
75. Great Read – A Calorie is not a Calorie
76. Tony Gentilcore on the Biggest Mistakes You’re Making
77. Ben Bruno’s Random Thoughts
78. Do Marathons Hurt Your Knees?
79. Charlie Weingroff on Lateral Bounding as a Screen
80. Blueberries May Reduce the Risk of Diabetes
81. Videos of the Week by Ben Bruno
82. Probiotics May Ward Off the Common Cold
83. Lessons from Drew Brees by Adam Bornstein
84. Vern Gambetta on Winning and Losing
85. Skinny is out, Strong is in by HPC labs
86. Good Read by Charlie Weingroff – Toes Up or Down?
87. The FMS Website has been spruced-up
88. Educainment by Mike Scott
89. The Perfect Exercise by Alwyn Cosgrove
90. Cool Cadaver Pic on Dr. Perry Nickelson’s Facebook Page
91. The Best Way to Gain Muscle is to Lose Fat on Jason Ferruggia’s Site
92. Body Positions Affecting the Spine by Carson Boddicker
93. Monster Garage Gym Footage http://www.criticalbench.com/strength/training-sessions-monster-garage-gym.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyJkvPNUQI&feature=player_embedded#!
94. Insulin – the Final Chapter by James Krieger
95. 5 Keys to Adopting a New Training Program by Core Performance
96. Craig Pfisterer With Some Heavy Hip Thrusts! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZewOCtppN8A
97. John Romaniello Interviews Brad Pilon, the Bearded Guru of Fasting
98. More Ben Bruno vids of the Week. This video is hilarious!
99. Zach Even-Esh 10 Bodyweight Exercises to Make You a Beast
100. Lack of Sleep Can Make You Fat
101. John Izzo on When People Don’t Know What You Do
102. Howard Gray on the Relationship Between the Sports Scientist and the Coach
103. Mladen Jovanovic on the Function of Muscles
104. Holy Crap this is an Inspiring Video. I AM CHAMPION!
105. Six Reasons to Use Sandbags by Josh Henkin
106. Glute Training with Fit Lizzio
107. Randomness by Jeff Cubos
108. Why You Should Ditch Diet Soda
109. Preparing for Max Attempts by Smitty
110. Changing Nutrition Habits by John Berardi
111. 5 Things You Need to Hear by Leigh Peele
112. Usage of Subjective Indicators of Monitoring and Programming of Training by Mladen Jovanovic
113. Herschel Walker Breaks Fitness Rules!
114. Kevin Larrabee on What it Takes to Be Successful in the Fitness Industry
115. Charles Poliquin on the Woman’s Barbell
116. Aaron Schwenzfeier on Kendrick Farriss’ Clean & Jerk
117. Knee Extension by Mike Robertson
118. Kelly Baggett on Quickness and Becoming a Better Athlete
119. Double Kettlebell Slideboard Reverse Lunges by Ben Bruno
120. Single Leg Rotational Lift by Core Performance
121. Mike Mahler’s Strength Fitness Tips
122. Dan John – The More You Lift, The Worse You Look (T-Nation Article)
123. Motor Learning and Practice by Mike Scott
124. PJ Striet – Single Leg Band Hip Extension
125. This Year from Gear to Raw – Elitefts
126. Jay Cutler Photoshoot – Back & Bi’s
127. Low Back Pain – Quadratus Lumborum
128. What to Eat and When to Eat it by John Romaniello
129. Review of Crossfit/USAW Open by Nick Horton
130. NY Times on Rolfing
131. Improve Your Posture With Duct Tape?
132. Monday Moment of Zen with Nick Horton
133. The Five Stages of a Healthy Diet by Core Performance
134. Best Jobs in America – Physical Therapists #4 Best Job? Interesting.
135. Collecting Numbers by Vern Gambetta
136. Randy Pausch – The Last Lecture Reprised by Zach Even-Esh
137. The Rotator Cuff by John Pallof – Excellent Read!
138. The Six Greatest Ab Exercises by Men’s Health
139. Should You Drink Milk for Body Recomposition?
140. Leangains vs. The 40 Year Crisis
141. Let this be Your Guide by Vern Gambetta
142. Six Easy Ways to Switch it Up by Core Performance
143. Ten Things People do Wrong in the Gym
144. Jay Cutler talks Shop
145. WTF is Overtraining Syndrome by Nick Grantham
146. The Genius Dumbbell Workout by Men’s Health
147. Ian King Rant
148. Great Article on Diesel Crew Website by Chris Kelly on “Powering Up Your Plank”
149. Friday Fun from the Platform by Tracy Fober
150. Clean Eating is Dead! Nail in the Coffin by JCD Fitness
151. Seven Steps to Programming for Athletes
152. When Getting Better Isn’t: The Endless Improvement Trap by Shawn Phillips
153. Another Ian King Rant
154. Eleven Myths of Warrior Training by Martin Rooney
155. Are You Really a Hargainer? Elitefts Article
156. Sticking Point Tips by Marc Bartley (Elitefts Article)
157. Strongman Implements (Elitefts Article)