Well I thought it was going to come down to around 25 articles this week but there ended up being more. I whittled it down a bit but I have a hard time doing so as I like to hear different perspectives and I like to post a variety of articles. Anyway props to my friend Mark Young. He went out of his way to provide us with some great free material. Here you go!!!
Bret Contreras Articles
Article of the Week
1. Wow! Is Fat Loss all About the Calories and Nothing Else? This Article has Created Quite a Stir in the Fitness Industry. See Below for Several Responses to the Article. My Thoughts? If you want to lose weight, drop your calories. Don’t focus on cardio, focus on not eating so much. If you want to look your best, eat relatively healthy and do resistance training. Strength gives your body muscular shape!
1. Paul Graham
2. Ana Tocco
1. Timothy Ferris – The Four Hour Body (I’d like to hear some people’s feedback on this one. I admire Timothy Ferris but I’m just not sure about this book. Sure there are tricks but strength and good physiques take time!)
1. The Two Wise-Old Owls of Strength Training: Mike Boyle & Dan John – MBSC Winter Seminar – Feb 5, 2011
Great Deal of the Week
1. Mark Young Offers Free Interviews With Stuart McGill, Thomas Myers, Nick Tumminello, Jim Smith, Mike Robertson, Martin Berkhan, Leigh Peele, Jimmy Smith, Brendan Fox, John Paul Catanzaro, Scott Abel, and more! This is Huge. Seriously, I bet it took Mark dozens of hours to arrange, record, and post these interviews; and they’re yours for free if you sign up for his newsletter. Thanks Mark!!!
Blast From the Past
1. This one is from May but I never read it. Just got around to reading it and it’s a great program for hypertrophy. It’s a Wannabebig article from Daniel Roberts titled Hypertrophy-Clustered Training (HCT-12).
1. Awesome Article by Jim Kielbaso on “How to Become a Strength Coach.” If you’re an up and comer in this field, check it out. Jim’s website keeps impressing me more and more!
3. Joel Jamieson gives us part III of a three part series on explosive power development. This is great!
4. Great Blog from Kevin Carr on Battle Rope Variations! Innovative Stuff Right Here!
6. Cool blogpost by JRod – Shows some new hockey commercials that portray hockey players engaging in strength training and then offers commentary on them.
7. Four Ways to Ease Sore Hamstrings by Core Performance
8. Happiness is a Skill by Coach Nick Horton
9. Speed Kills by Anthony Morando
10. Minimalism Part III by Jason Ferruggia (this one is on nutrition)
11. Alex Moroko – 17 Reasons Why Bodyweight Training Rocks!
12. Ben Bruno Interviews Jen Comas
13. Excellent Dr. Clay Hyght Article – 9 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Bodybuilding
14. John Romaniello Interviews Valerie Waters
15. Should You Run Barefoot? by Core Performance
16. Ben Bruno – Single Leg Slideboard Leg Curls
17. Random Thoughts by Ben Bruno – I’m a Big Fan of Ben’s Blog!!!
18. Random Stuff by Mark Young
19. Three Types of Clients and How to Coach Them by John Berardi
20. Awesome Read by Jeremy Frisch on Kids and Conditioning
21. Conquering Chin Ups by Mike Robertson
22. Carl Valle on Bad Combinations and Clashing
23. Five Tips for Building a Sexy Make Body by John Romaniello
24. Mike T. Nelson on the Twinkie Diet
25. Nick Tumminello Shows How to Hit the Biceps and Triceps with the TRX
26. Great Read by Joe Bonyai on Training Athletes With Spinal Disorders
27. Muscular Adaptations to Training by Chris Beardsley
28. Great Read by Dave Rak on Vertical Jump Training on Coach Kevin Carr’s Site
29. Patrick Ward on the Female Triad
30. Minimalism Part IV by Jason Ferruggia.
31. Great Read by Joe Dowdell in Stack Magazine – Is MMA Training Appropriate for Other Sports?
32. Top Ten Poliquin Articles by Chris Beardsley
33. Five Lifting Problems Solved by Mike Scialabba on Wannabebig
34. Tom Venuto on the Twinkie Diet
35. John Izzo on Weak Glutes
36. Box Squats by Clint Darden on Elitefts
37. Six Tips for Building a Sexy Female Body by John Romaniello
38. Motivational Blog by Alli McKee
39. Neghar Fonooni talks about her Program. She runs a tight ship, but she delivers!
40. Dealing with Hip Internal Rotation part I by Rick Kaselj on Mark Young’s site
41. Step by Step Bench Pressing by Mike Robertson
42. PJ Striet on the Twinkie Diet – this one is great!!! I really like PJ.
43. Core Performance - Rolling Plank
44. Programming by Chad Pierce on Elitefts
45. Hidden Shoulder Killers by Lee Boyce
46. Interview with Jay Cutler
5. HIP STABILITY: MECHANICAL CONTRIBUTIONS OF INDIVIDUAL MUSCLES – This is sweet! Shows the contribution of individual muscles to hip stability in the neutral and flexed positions in the sagittal and frontal planes